[geeks] keyboards for Mac

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Sep 3 02:47:15 CDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 01:11:18AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Does anyone know if a keyboard like the "Logitech Wave" will work with
> MacOS?

Any standard USB keyboard will work.

> The only decent keyboard I can find is the Tactile Pro, which is $150
> and on backorder almost perpetually, and it really isn't the layout I
> want.

The Tactile Pro is not near as nice as they claim it to be.. I bought one
back when they were $75 and wasn't that impressed.  It was actually LOUDER
than a Model M, and the "legs" that made it incline were flimsy.

> Any recommendations appreciated.  I know we visit this topic now and
> then, but maybe there is new information.

My favorites, in order of preference:

1. Current-production USB-interface "Model M" from UniComp:
   http://www.pckeyboard.com (~$60).

You can also use an "original" model M with a PS2-to-USB adapter, but then
you have to remap a key to serve as the "Command/Apple" key.  I prefer the
104-key versions from UniComp because I can swap the ALT and WINDOWS
keycaps and then remap them to match the "Normal" Apple keyboard layout.  I
have a "Customizer 104" here at home, and the "space saver" 104-key model
at work which is just the normal "Model M" size with the "extra space" at
the sides and top removed.

2. Apple Extended Keyboard II, using an iMate ADB-to-USB adapter:
   http://lowendmac.com/thomas/06/1113.html

3. MacAlly iKey.  No longer made, but available on eBay, etc.
   http://lowendmac.com/usb/ikey.shtml

Jonathan Patschke has been raving about the new Apple keyboards,
but I've not had hands-on experience with them yet.

I do not recommend the last revision of Macintosh keyboards at all;
they're way too mushy for my tastes.  If I can't have a buckling-spring
keyboard, I prefer a REALLY STIFF rubber-dome-type keyboard like the iKey.

(you can probably tell I learned to type on an IBM Selectric).

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas