[geeks] FYI: CompUSA is offering OS X 10.5 for $99 (after rebate)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Oct 28 15:11:12 CDT 2007

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007, Lionel Peterson wrote:

>> You mean like using shadow real estate companies to buy land Wal-mart
>> is forbidden to develop, and then renting it to them and other
>> tricks, which also frequently results in Wal-Mart not paying normal
>> taxes to the local area?
>
> Wal Mart can't exercise Eminent Domain, local/state/federal
> governments impose it to bring Wal Mart in - Wal Mart benefits, but I
> can't blame them for it...

I certainly can.  There are numerous instances where Wal*Mart attempted
to buy land from the current owners, the owners refused (even at above-
market prices), so Wal*Mart convinced the local authority of increased
tax revenues, and the local authority took the land from the owners at
the tax-assessed price and sold it directly to Wal*Mart at that price.

If a Wal*Mart executive walked up to you, pointed a gun to your head,
and said "You WILL take X dollars for your property and you WILL sell
it to me, and I WILL build here," you'd hold it against that guy and the
company behind him, wouldn't you?  Why is it any different if they get
the government to hold the gun and make the demands on their behalf?

This is why the Constitution says "public use".  There has to be a
really compelling argument to uproot a person from his home or business.
That the Supreme Court perverted "public use" to "corporate use" based
solely on tax revenue is sickening.  Just because the Court says it's
lawful doesn't make it -right-.

And before you say that the gun comment is extremist, try saying "no"
when the government wants your land.  It makes no difference whether the
land is for a school, a highway, a fire station, or a Super Wal*Mart;
the local sheriff or his deputy will be there, guns will be drawn, and
they will "help" and "persuade" you find the means to vacate the
property.

> Is Wal Mart squeaky-clean? No, of course not, but local/state/federal
> politicians play thier part as well...

Politicians are corrupt; this is a constant.  Most are little more than
hitmen and purchased thieves, but you can't just blame them; some of the
blame has to land on the client, as well.

--
Jonathan Patschke     )  "So far, 99% of illegal activity has been caused
Elgin, TX            (    by criminals."