[geeks] FYI: CompUSA is offering OS X 10.5 for $99 (after rebate)

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Oct 28 15:04:39 CDT 2007

On Oct 28, 2007, at 10:34 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

>> From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>> Date: 2007/10/27 Sat PM 10:01:44 CDT
>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: Re: [geeks] FYI: CompUSA is offering OS X 10.5 for $99
>> (after
> rebate)
>
>> On Oct 26, 2007, at 11:46 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> Reasonable import tariffs on Chinese goods would be a good start, as
>>> would putting a stop to Wal*Mart's[0] hallmark abuses of eminent
>>> domain.
>>
>> You mean like using shadow real estate companies to buy land Wal-mart
>> is forbidden to develop, and then renting it to them and other
>> tricks, which also frequently results in Wal-Mart not paying normal
>> taxes to the local area?
>
> Wal Mart can't exercise Eminent Domain, local/state/federal
> governments
> impose it to bring Wal Mart in - Wal Mart benefits, but I can't
> blame them
> for it...

Yes, Wal-Mart can exercise eminent domain.  They do it indirectly,
but they still do it, and yes we can blame them.  Just because the
government is being stupid, we shouldn't excuse Wal-Mart's actions.

> Also, Wal Mart doesn't set the tax rate, again that is the province
> of local/
> state/federal governments who (at least used to) trip all over
> themselves to
> lure Wal Mart to their region, and one of the ways they do that is
> lower
> taxes (and making attractive parcels available through Eminent
> Domain)...

Correction, Wal-Mart doesn't set taxes directly.  They and other
companies that operate the same way effectively have more control
over taxes than the voters.

> Is Wal Mart squeaky-clean? No, of course not, but local/state/federal
> politicians play thier part as well...

Yes, but that only adds to the list of bad guys, it doesn't take Wal-
Mart off of it.

Other companies do it too, yes, but Wal-Mart has gotten better at it
than most of them.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com