[geeks] FYI: CompUSA is offering OS X 10.5 for $99 (after rebate)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 28 09:45:00 CDT 2007

>From: "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net>
>Date: 2007/10/26 Fri PM 10:46:08 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] FYI: CompUSA is offering OS X 10.5 for $99 (after
rebate)

<snip>

>Small local firms can't
>compete with a multinational corporation with big pockets that can
>afford to run a store for months at a time as a loss-leader.

What is the point of being a major corporation if you can't drive the
competition out of existance? ;^)

The latest thing thing that drives me nuts is the "Organic Farm Subsidy"
program my local U.S. Representative is spear-heading - it goes like this:

Organic is good for you, but it costs more to grow, so the federal government
wants to subsidise the farmers of organic goods by taking money from
*everyone* in the country...

WTF?

To make healthy fruits and vegetables (and meat too, I guess) available at a
lower cost to a few people, everyone has to pay more taxes? There seems to be
no recognition that to the folks in the inner-city (least likely ot have
access to organic foods) will not only pay more for their unhealthy food, but
also subsidise the price of local-grow tomatoes for their wealthy neighbors
in the suburbs?

Lionel