[geeks] FYI: CompUSA is offering OS X 10.5 for $99 (after rebate)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 28 09:34:19 CDT 2007

>From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2007/10/27 Sat PM 10:01:44 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] FYI: CompUSA is offering OS X 10.5 for $99 (after
rebate)

>On Oct 26, 2007, at 11:46 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

<snip>

>> Reasonable import tariffs on Chinese goods would be a good start, as
>> would putting a stop to Wal*Mart's[0] hallmark abuses of eminent
>> domain.
>
>You mean like using shadow real estate companies to buy land Wal-mart
>is forbidden to develop, and then renting it to them and other
>tricks, which also frequently results in Wal-Mart not paying normal
>taxes to the local area?

Wal Mart can't exercise Eminent Domain, local/state/federal governments
impose it to bring Wal Mart in - Wal Mart benefits, but I can't blame them
for it...

Also, Wal Mart doesn't set the tax rate, again that is the province of local/
state/federal governments who (at least used to) trip all over themselves to
lure Wal Mart to their region, and one of the ways they do that is lower
taxes (and making attractive parcels available through Eminent Domain)...

Is Wal Mart squeaky-clean? No, of course not, but local/state/federal
politicians play thier part as well...

Lionel