[geeks] QUESTION: MacOS window managemnt

John Francini francini at mac.com
Mon Oct 22 22:40:08 CDT 2007

The responsibilities are shared.

The Window Server process does window management on behalf of the
running apps.  However, the apps are responsible for fielding the
menu requests (including keyboard shortcuts) and passing them on to
the Window Manager.

That's why sometimes you can't even bring up Force Quit without
switching to another app first.

So when it gets busy, try this.  Switch to the Finder (or the app you
want to go to) using Command-Tab, clicking on any part of the Desktop
that's showing, or F11 (to activate Exposi->Show Desktop) followed by
clicking on the Desktop.

Then select (AppName)->Hide Others.  It should hide all your other
apps, including the busy one.

john