[geeks] QUESTION: MacOS window managemnt

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Oct 23 20:46:32 CDT 2007

On Oct 22, 2007, at 11:40 PM, John Francini wrote:

> The responsibilities are shared.
>
> The Window Server process does window management on behalf of the
> running apps.  However, the apps are responsible for fielding the
> menu requests (including keyboard shortcuts) and passing them on to
> the Window Manager.

So the apps are also responsible for taking events from the close,
min, and max buttons as well?  That's the part that sucks.

I'd like to be able at least minimize a window out of the way quickly.

> So when it gets busy, try this.  Switch to the Finder (or the app you
> want to go to) using Command-Tab, clicking on any part of the Desktop
> that's showing, or F11 (to activate Exposi->Show Desktop) followed by
> clicking on the Desktop.
>
> Then select (AppName)->Hide Others.  It should hide all your other
> apps, including the busy one.

That's drastic, but better than nothing.

I run a few programs that can take hours to finish, so getting them
out of the way is worth this extra step.  I still think it should be
done with the titlebar.

Maybe Leopard will have fixes for this.  It seems necessary to make
Spaces truly useful.