[geeks] Hosting - 600GB disk - 6000GB transfer - $8 - Catch?

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 23:05:46 CDT 2007

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>> This is why, honestly, I want to find a new line of work outside of IT.
>
> Making the crossover from systems management to software development is
> the best thing that's happened to me in recent memory.
>
> My family and non-techie friends will never understand how this job that
> involves sitting in front of a computer all day doing geek stuff is any
> different from my previous job that involved sitting in front of a
> computer all day doing geek stuff, but it is.  IT is a dead end that
> pays fairly well, but will burn you out, run you over, and wee on your
> early grave.
>
> Now, when my phone rings at 3am, I know it's something important, and
> not just another "wahhhhh, the app server fell over" call.

Hear hear!  There was a damn good reason I was a CS major and not an IS
major.  System administration is fun, as long as no-one is bothering
you.  Writing code is fun period.

In my current job, being a technical lead, I need to wear my sysadmin
hat, my architect hat and my programmer hat.  By far, the programming is
the most fun.  I'd say the architect/analyst hat is the least.

Peace...  Sridhar