[geeks] Hosting - 600GB disk - 6000GB transfer - $8 - Catch?

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Fri Oct 12 09:10:07 CDT 2007

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Hear hear!  There was a damn good reason I was a CS major and not an IS
> major.  System administration is fun, as long as no-one is bothering
> you.  Writing code is fun period.
>
> In my current job, being a technical lead, I need to wear my sysadmin
> hat, my architect hat and my programmer hat.  By far, the programming is
> the most fun.  I'd say the architect/analyst hat is the least.

I think I'm pretty much the opposite.  I don't find programming to be
very much fun at all.  Maybe I have yet to learn a language that I like,
or have not learned one well enough to really be comfortable with it,
but I have always found programming to be tedious and frustrating. On
the other hand, I usually find the problem solving aspects of system
administration to be the most fun.

That said, I have been steadily losing the enthusiasm that I once had
for it, and can envision a career change sometime in the future.  If you
asked me a few years ago, i would have said that i can't see myself
doing anything but IT.  Now I could see myself making some changes.  If
I don't get out of IT altogether, I will probably make some sort of
change in direction (not just change of job) in the future.

    -Dan Sikorski