[geeks] windows hacks for MacOS

John Francini francini at mac.com
Wed Oct 10 07:09:46 CDT 2007

For the latter -- check out ASM, by Frank Vercrusse.
<http://www.vercruesse.de/software>

ASM restores the old Mac OS Application menu (the one that used to be
on the right hand side of the menu bar, which actually contains a
list of the currently running applications), and, more importantly,
restores the old Mac OS behavior of having ALL of an application's
windows come up top when that app is front-most.  ASM calls this
"Classic Window Mode".

You can even set it to do the old Launcher-style Single Application
Mode, whereby switching to one app hides all the other apps' windows.

(The lack of such a thing built-in to OS X is another one of my
dislikes about it, along with the several ways the Finder now breaks
the spatial metaphor, my disdain for the Dock, and my dislike for the
brushed-aluminum windowing appearance.  The latter goes away with
Leopard -- good riddance.)

As for E-mail...  I use a combination.  At home I use Eudora 6.2.4
for my main e-mail program -- been using it since 1990 or
thereabouts.  Closest thing I can find to things like DECwindows
Mail, ZMail, or VMSmail.  At work I use Eudora for corporate E-mail,
and Mail.app to keep an eye on the home E-mail. (It accesses the
Mac.com mailbox using IMAP; when I go home I use POP to suck down
whatever's accumulated on the server.)

<rant>
I've been investigating the Eudora extensions being added to
Thunderbird, but until they succeed in making it look exactly like
Eudora, including completely separate windows for mailbox listings
and mail message content, I'm sticking where I am.  I despise the
two- or three-panel "standard" mail interface, copied so much from
LookOut. I want each mailbox listing in its own separate window, and
each mail message in another separate window, thank-you-very-much.
</rant>

John, who's been using Macs since 1987 and System 4.1/Finder 5.5.