[geeks] Apple software: the stuff you "gotta have"

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Oct 10 00:59:07 CDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 01:44:00AM -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> Mail is so much better than anything else that I've ever used, but it
> still drives me crazy with irritating short comings, mostly things
> that mutt does.

I prefer mutt, and amusing it now, but it's biggest shortcoming is that
the Linux version won't properly handle Mac files. This forces me to
start up Mail.app to process those attachments, which thankfully are
rare in my email.

I guess if I were really bothered by it, I could patch mutt to convert them
to binhex or macbinary when I save them, or interface properly with netatalk.

Being able to read HTML mail would also help. I have a procmail rule
that removes HTML, but that often does not make the text that results more
readable. :-(

I may be a Luddite by I like the idea of email being simple.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838