[geeks] Apple software: the stuff you "gotta have"

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Oct 10 00:44:00 CDT 2007

On Oct 10, 2007, at 1:22 AM, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> I used KDE's task and schedule software quite a bit.  It was not
> polished and had serious bugs, but it worked well enough.  iCal
> pretty much replaces it completely, along with Addressbook and Mail.

Mail is so much better than anything else that I've ever used, but it
still drives me crazy with irritating short comings, mostly things
that mutt does.

Addressbook and iCal look fine, but I don't use them, because I
switch platforms too much.  I use plain text files and a palm zire.

> For backups I just used rsync, but it works poorly on the Mac because
> it doesn't always pick up the meta information for files.

I think there is a special version of rsync that takes care of the
special OSX metadata.

> For indexing documents, I never found a UNIX tool that I liked very
> much.  They were all either broken, incomplete, or far too
> complicated.  Yep just works.  It doesn't do everything, but it is
> very fast and works well enough for me right now.  I've read about
> some better programs, but they cost money and I need to save if
> possible.

I want my indexing program to be server based.  Nutch looks like it
has potential.  It also looks overly complicated.  Possibly just the
sort of program to load into a VM and leave there.

> I miss Basket because it was yet another one of those rare programs
> that is really going well, and has a fair amount of polish for an
> open source application.  I think one of the suggestions here will
> replace it, but if you guys ever run KDE, you should give it a try.

I shall have to look at Basket at work.  I don't particularly use
KDE, but I do have it installed to be able to use Amarok.  Whatever
GNOME tries to get me to use is wretched.