[geeks] Apple software: the stuff you "gotta have"

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Oct 10 09:37:33 CDT 2007

On Oct 10, 2007, at 1:59 AM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 01:44:00AM -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>> Mail is so much better than anything else that I've ever used, but it
>> still drives me crazy with irritating short comings, mostly things
>> that mutt does.
>

> I prefer mutt, and amusing it now, but it's biggest shortcoming is
> that
> the Linux version won't properly handle Mac files. This forces me to
> start up Mail.app to process those attachments, which thankfully are
> rare in my email.
>
> I guess if I were really bothered by it, I could patch mutt to
> convert them
> to binhex or macbinary when I save them, or interface properly with
> netatalk.
>
> Being able to read HTML mail would also help. I have a procmail rule
> that removes HTML, but that often does not make the text that
> results more
> readable. :-)

I used to have something in the muttrc file that would de-HTML email,
but it used Lynx's formatted ascii dump feature rather than regex's
to remove the HTML, so it almost always did a good job.

> I may be a Luddite by I like the idea of email being simple.

Are you refering to Mail.app or HTML email?

I like seeing a folder index and the contents of a folder at the same
time.

I also like Mail.app's address auto completion.

And finally Mail.app is much nicer over dial-up than mutt.

At the moment I'm having a hard time coming up with exactly what it
is about Mail.app that I like so much better than Evolution, but I
detest evolution.

The thing I miss most in mail.app is loosing the single key short
cuts.  The other thing I miss the most is the tag actions stuff.