[geeks] Apple software: the stuff you "gotta have"

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Oct 10 00:22:49 CDT 2007

On Oct 10, 2007, at 12:54 AM, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2007, at 6:24 PM, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>

>> 	- a good backup program that can use CD and DVD media
>> 	- ditto but one that can use remote systems and/or CIFS servers, can
>> 	  be the same program if it does media and server backup both
>> 	- a program to index my documents (text files, PDFs, word processor
>> files,
>> 	  etc) and possibly also organize them into neat directory trees
>
> Aside from Basket and Amarok, what programs do you use for the other
> tasks on linux?

I never found anything good enough to do most of that on Linux, which
is the whole reason I moved to Mac.  I had to put up with a series of
hacks, my own code, and various applications that just never seemed
to ever get finished.

Programs like Amarok are exceptional of course, but such software is
rare.

I used KDE's task and schedule software quite a bit.  It was not
polished and had serious bugs, but it worked well enough.  iCal
pretty much replaces it completely, along with Addressbook and Mail.

For backups I just used rsync, but it works poorly on the Mac because
it doesn't always pick up the meta information for files.

For indexing documents, I never found a UNIX tool that I liked very
much.  They were all either broken, incomplete, or far too
complicated.  Yep just works.  It doesn't do everything, but it is
very fast and works well enough for me right now.  I've read about
some better programs, but they cost money and I need to save if
possible.

I miss Basket because it was yet another one of those rare programs
that is really going well, and has a fair amount of polish for an
open source application.  I think one of the suggestions here will
replace it, but if you guys ever run KDE, you should give it a try.