[geeks] "Facebook isn't the internet, dipshit."

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Oct 9 23:15:37 CDT 2007

On Oct 9, 2007, at 11:27 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 11:05:23PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>> Ah, you weren't using Lisp then to program your Web apps.
>
> One of the people in charge of it thought that magically having
> everything under "a CMS" [0] would solve world hunger and make
> his site magically good.
>
> Bill
>
> [0] "Hey, we need a CMS thing, which one should we use?  That should
>     only take a day or two to setup, teach people how to use, and make
>     it look like $photoshop_mockup, right?"

Hey, I remember the same bull back in 1994 when I was doing embedded
programming on VME systems.

The boss would see some new IDE, invariably for Windows, and ask if
that wouldn't help us write code 5 times faster than was humanly
possible.

He would literally take the ad copy and do math with it.

Yeah, if some ad copy said their product or technique had shown 1500
percent productivity increases, he would literally divide our time
estimates by 15.  No kidding.