[geeks] Mensa

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Sat May 12 13:52:57 CDT 2007

James Fogg wrote:
>> It was one part of a battery of tests taken over a 3-5 day
>> period (not sure anymore), and it was an attempt by my
>> parents to get at the root of the "Lionel is not woking up to
>> his potential" mantra from my teachers... THis was back in
>> those golden days when doctors were just "discovering"
>> learning disabilities...
>

> Hrm... That sounds familiar.
>
> I hate schools. The students that succeed are good at memorization and
> social/personal relationships. "Smart" has nothing to do with it. A
> college degree means you can do what you are told and get along well
> with everyone.

I'm a fairly personable guy, and I have excellent recall, but I suck at
school.

They couldn't keep me engaged.  If you're bored enough, you'll fall
asleep in class.

Being good at memorization doesn't help all that much at school.  In
about 50% of my classes I would be able to ace the final exams after
about a week in the class, but I still ended up flunking.

I think it's a travesty that they still make you do homework if you can
prove you've already learned the subject material.  It's just drudgery.

Peace...  Sridhar