[geeks] Mensa

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat May 12 12:54:11 CDT 2007

James Fogg wrote:
>> It was one part of a battery of tests taken over a 3-5 day
>> period (not sure anymore), and it was an attempt by my
>> parents to get at the root of the "Lionel is not woking up to
>> his potential" mantra from my teachers... THis was back in
>> those golden days when doctors were just "discovering"
>> learning disabilities...
>

> Hrm... That sounds familiar.
>
> I hate schools. The students that succeed are good at memorization and
> social/personal relationships.

Absolutely, and it is a shame because it can be prevented/fixed.

> "Smart" has nothing to do with it. A
> college degree means you can do what you are told and get along well
> with everyone.

I don't totally agree here.  I certainly wasn't one of those kinds of
students, and I still got one and did reasonably well.

But yes, I knew about the students who worked the system.  It was really
frustrating.

I really didn't have enough money for college, and had to work through most of it.

I was so smart, I managed to cram 4 years into only 8... :)

I could have done better with strategic friendships and compliance, but I'd
have hated myself for it.

--
shannon /  Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the
-------'   range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime