[geeks] The Dog's Breakfast: Microsoft Windows Vista

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun May 6 18:06:40 CDT 2007

Aaron Finley wrote:
>> The only thing that keeps me using Windows is artificial software
>> requirements.
>>
>> Something else to think about: big business wants heavily control over
>> our lives and how we use data.
>
> A lot of people have work to do and don't want to fiddle with software.

...which is why we don't use Windows...

> For instance, I have three monitors over two video cards.
>
> It would take me hours to figure out how to get it all to work on Linux.
>
> On Windows, it works on install.

In a business, they fix the Linux setup once (and fairly easily these days),
and all users use it.  Multiple monitors is a tiny fraction of 1 percent of
any given computer user population.

Even so, the time spent doing that pales in comparison to the time and money
saved by not dealing with Windows.

For that matter: s/Windows/<a lot of other crap we don't need>

I had multi-monitor support on Apple and UNIX machines over ten years before
it ever started working on Windows.

> Things like that make anti-Windows comments silly.

One thing that happens to work makes the rest of the valid criticism of
Windows silly?

Besides, don't you realize that the crap caused by Microsoft is precisely why
a lot of hardware suffers from non-Windows support?

It works.

Maybe it does for you, but for a lot of others it doesn't, and it represents a
huge cost to any society using it.

Software in general sucks bad enough already, and Microsoft doesn't hide from
the fact that their number one goal in creating software is revenue.

That's ahead of everything else.

--
shannon /  Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the
-------'   range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime