[geeks] The Dog's Breakfast: Microsoft Windows Vista

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun May 6 16:50:57 CDT 2007

On Sun, 6 May 2007, Aaron Finley wrote:

> For instance, I have three monitors over two video cards.
>
> It would take me hours to figure out how to get it all to work on
> Linux.
>
> On Windows, it works on install.
>
> Things like that make anti-Windows comments silly. It works.

Because spending the one-time cost of a couple hours of IT time once to
get a working xorg.conf for a nonstandard workstation[0] makes much more
sense than the recurring cost of a couple of hours of IT time a day
dealing with end-users that have crapped up their PCs with spyware and
adware and all the other junk software that make PCs slow to a crawl
after a few months in the hands of naive operators, right?

If a business doesn't have a software need to run Windows, and they have
an IT department that isn't staffed solely by paper MCSEs, it really is
staggering how much time and effort is saved by running something else
(anything else, even that Linux crap).

[0] On the vast number of recent systems, Xorg will work just fine,
     assuming the proper drivers are present.  Multiple displays on
     multiple video cards isn't the most office workstation
     configuration by any means.
--
Jonathan Patschke ) "If we keep our pride, though paradise is lost, we
Elgin, TX        (   will pay the price, but we cannot count the cost."