[geeks] good online hosting company

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Tue Mar 27 11:31:59 CDT 2007

On Mar 27, 2007, at 10:45, Kevin R. Marshall wrote:

> I'm looking for a reputable hosting company that provides a good
> web based email solution (< 100 users).

I use TextDrive(.com) for my personal stuff, and its webmail client
ain't bad, for webmail. I've never tried it, but the parent company
Joyent(.com) sells a service called Joyent Connector, which is
hosted, web 2.0ish collaboration software like calendar, project
management, and email.

> My uncle's company email system is a mess and for his situation,
> off-site hosting makes the best sense.  They would be retaining the
> email on the server and using the web interface exclusively.
>
> Preferably something that runs linux and we could add an apache/
> mysql/php system to at a later date for another project.

You get one account that includes TextDrive (hosting, with Ruby/
Python/Perl/PHP, etc), Connector, and StrongSpace (a few GB of non-
public, sftp-based remote storage).

> If anyone has any suggestions, i'd be happy to hear them.

The reason I hosted with them is that Ben Rockwood (cuddletech.com/
blog, big OpenSolaris evangelist and storage blogger) began work for
them. I read his blog, so I considered that about as good as a
personal recommendation :).

  - Micah