[geeks] good online hosting company

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 11:31:28 CDT 2007

On 3/27/07, Kevin R. Marshall <kevin at mpcf.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a reputable hosting company that provides a good web based email solution (< 100 users).
>
> My uncle's company email system is a mess and for his situation, off-site hosting makes the best sense.  They would be retaining the email on the server and using the web interface exclusively.
>
> Preferably something that runs linux and we could add an apache/mysql/php system to at a later date for another project.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions, i'd be happy to hear them.

If you decide to go email only, I can heartily recommend fastmail.fm.
In the 5+ years I've been using them for email, we've only had 3
significant outages that I can remember, and one of those was due to
the black out on the East Coast (their colo had not tested their
generator set up).  They support both IMAP and POP for folks who want
to store on their systems, or they will host and manage spam, then
feed you your mail if you want them to manage only your domain for the
purposes of email.

I also know some folks who worked for Mirapoint who also host
IMAP/mail that I'd recommend (I haven't used their service, but I know
the principles as well as several gurus in the valley who host mail
with them, so I know they are reliable), but they do not handle any
other services either.  Let me know if you want contact info.

IMO, finding a good "general" hosting company is a lot more difficult
than finding a good email host, so you may not want to combine the
two.

=Nadine=