[geeks] Q: iSCSI support for Mac, PC, Sun???

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Mon Mar 19 16:32:43 CDT 2007

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:44:38 -0500 (CDT), Lionel Peterson wrote:
> I was thinking of playing with OpenFiler[0] to create an iSCSI
> "server" to supply files to my Macs, PCs, and maybe Sun systems -
> anyone play with either OpenFiler or iSCSI in a home network setting?

Nope, although I've used iSCSI at work. I'm not sure iSCSI is the
solution here as all it gives you is a raw disk device provided by a
network device.

Whilst this can be useful, I would have said that a shared
network filesystem like NFS would be more usable. Of course with
OpenFiler you can try both ways.

> So, if I have systems with gigabit PC ports[1], iSCSI initiators
> installed, accessing the shared storage should be pretty
> straight-forward, right?

Hmm ... well maybe. My iSCSI 'server' has mysteriously stopped letting
my Sun server 'discover' its disks.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 This signature has been rot13-encrypted twice, reading it is illegal