[geeks] So how messy is YOUR "computer room"?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 19 15:17:22 CDT 2007

>From: Mike Hebel <nimitz at nimitzbrood.com>
>Date: 2007/03/19 Mon PM 01:56:45 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] So how messy is YOUR "computer room"?

>>> Famous last words ;^)
>>
>> Hell yeh, I said that last time I tidied my room too :o\
>
>As did I. :-)
>
>My problem is paper.  I need to scan in a lot of junk and make pdfs out of
>it so I can just box up the paper and store it somewhere.

I thought about doing that, but when I get right down to it, my real problem is I don't keep a stable desktop (or server) system up, so since I can't store my notes, articles, etc for thisngs I want to do, I print them out by neccessity, then the horizontal surfaces in my office become little timelines for projects left unfinished, random thoughts, etc. - kind of like many blogs I've seen, but this is physical...

My plan is to build an iSCSI server to act as a central storage "bin" for various things of interest, and access it from various platforms over time.

As for the piles of papers, well, a wiser man would say "F it!" and just start over fresh, get rid of the baggage/guilt...

I've got two garage stalls cluttered with stuff, and I'mstarting to think my wife has given up all hope of ever getting her car in the garage - I think I have almost gotten her broken down tothe point where I can offer her that I'llg et the dumpster and make it all go away, if I can get a Cobra replica car kit[0] and build it in the other empty garage stall... Maybe she'll go for that ;^)

Lionel

[0] http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffrkits/roadster/roadsterkit.html - Hey, it's a cheesy knock-off, but they have classes on how to build them, and they have a great reputation (from what I've seen)...