[geeks] Q: iSCSI support for Mac, PC, Sun???

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 19 12:44:38 CDT 2007

Hello all,

I was thinking of playing with OpenFiler[0] to create an iSCSI "server" to supply files to my Macs, PCs, and maybe Sun systems - anyone play with either OpenFiler or iSCSI in a home network setting?

Seems like the steps are:

Install iSCSI server onto private, gigabit data network

Install iSCSI initiatior software on systems (PC, Mac[2], Sun[3], etc.)

Slice and dice up disk space, setting access rules, etc...

So, if I have systems with gigabit PC ports[1], iSCSI initiators installed, accessing the shared storage should be pretty straight-forward, right?

Any tips appreciated,

Lionel

[0] openfiler.com

[1] Pointer to gigabit ethernet adapter for G4/PCI Mac appreciated

[2] iSCSI initiator software for Macs recently released, see:
http://www.studionetworksolutions.com/products/product_detail.php?pi=11

[3] iSCSI initiator for Sun Solaris info:
http://opensolaris.org/os/community/os_user_groups/frosug/iscsi/iscsi.pdf