[geeks] Windows XP 64bit Licensing?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jun 27 15:54:23 CDT 2007

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, Mike Meredith wrote:

> Personally I don't see the point of running a 64-bit Firefox (or
> derivative)

I know of one person (formerly of this list) who filed a bug report with
the Vim maintainers because using auto-parallelization and a 64-bit
target broke the build under IRIX.

> Installing 32-bit binary applications can be a bit of a pain, but once
> you've loaded up all the associated 32-bit libraries, it just works.

Speaking of IRIX, it looks IRIX is going to remain the only OS that got
this right.  The way Apple does it is pretty nice, too, but it's
difficult to update the 32-bit libraries and 64-bit libraries
separately:

   [jp at viper:/usr/lib]$ file libc.dylib
     libc.dylib: symbolic link to `libSystem.dylib'

   [jp at viper:/usr/lib]$ file libSystem.dylib
     libSystem.dylib: symbolic link to `libSystem.B.dylib'

   [jp at viper:/usr/lib]$ file libSystem.B.dylib
     libSystem.B.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
     libSystem.B.dylib (for architecture ppc):       Mach-O dynamically
       linked shared library ppc
     libSystem.B.dylib (for architecture ppc64):     Mach-O 64-bit
       dynamically linked shared library ppc64
     libSystem.B.dylib (for architecture i386):      Mach-O dynamically
       linked shared library i386
     libSystem.B.dylib (for architecture x86_64):    Mach-O 64-bit
       dynamically linked shared library x86_64

--
Jonathan Patschke ) "When they turn the pages of history, when these
Elgin, TX        (   days have passed long ago, will they read of us