[geeks] Windows XP 64bit Licensing?

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Wed Jun 27 14:36:02 CDT 2007

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:47:53 -0400 (EDT), nate at portents.com wrote:
> > Linux has no problem with >3GB of RAM.
>
> That depends on what you mean by "no problem"... about a year ago,
> when I surveyed 64-bit distros they tended to opt for 64-bit native
> package builds, which caused quite a hassle when for instance you
> wanted to use a 32-bit browser plugin like Flash but you had a 64-bit

Indeed. However at least Ubuntu (and I presume other distributions) do
have some kind of option to run a 32-bit browser ... I'm running a
32-bit 'swifterfox' binary both at home and at work, with a 64-bit os.
Personally I don't see the point of running a 64-bit Firefox (or
derivative) ... amongst other things keeping Firefox limited to 32-bits
seems wise given it's memory leaks :)

Installing 32-bit binary applications can be a bit of a pain, but once
you've loaded up all the associated 32-bit libraries, it just works.

> package issues, the deal breaker for me was 64-bit drivers in Linux a
> year ago.  Things weren't good, especially if you were trying to

Things have come a long way in a year. What 64-bit drivers were you
missing ? The most obvious ones I can think of are the Nvidia and ATI X
'drivers' ... both of which are available in 64-bit versions now.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 "Why are we hiding from the police, daddy?"