[geeks] Windows XP 64bit Licensing?

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Wed Jun 27 12:59:45 CDT 2007

On Jun 27, 2007, at 10:12, Michael Dombrowski wrote:

> Due to the lack of Linux support for my graphics card,
> and my desire to use more than 3gb of ram it seems
> that Windows XP x64 may be my only option... However,
> I have been lucky enough to have a (legal) copy of XP
> that does not have any of the "activation" garbage
> built-in and I am unwilling to deal with it. Does
> anyone know what if a copy of XP from Newegg will have
> the activation stupidity or if there is a way to get
> XP x64 without it?

Caveat: I'm not sure where I heard this. It could be bullshit.

Is it true that the Dell (for instance) machines accept a Dell
Windows CD without requiring a key or activation? I've heard that
it's one key for all Dell Windows installs. They ship you a box with
a sticker on it that has "your" key, but the installation that is
shipped on your hard drive doesn't use that key. If you reload the
operating system with the Dell-provided Windows disks (for your
hardware), it won't ask for a key, and it'll use the Dell key. AFAIK,
this even works if you use a different Dell disc - for instance, if
you machine ships with XP Home, and you obtain a Dell XP Pro disc, I
believe that it will not ask for a key. WGA-validated, etc.

Of course, you have to be willing to *buy* a Dell... but, if true, it
probably applies to other OEMs as well.

  - Micah