[geeks] IP Telephony

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Jul 31 16:27:56 CDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 10:43:31AM -0400, Dave K wrote:
> Here at $WORK we're evaluating a slew of new Telephone Solutions, most
> of which use VOIP to some extent or another.  Do any of you have
> real-world experience with VOIP in the office?  Any favorite links to
> *useful* sites (as opposed to the information overload Google seems to
> provide)?

Practically every "corporate" employee where I work (a large oil/gas
services company), e.g., everyone that works in an office versus on an
oil rig, uses either a Cisco IP telephone or a "soft phone" running on a
Windows desktop along with a headset and microphone.  They've had this
setup for at least 3.5-4 years now, and it works just fine without problems.

Saves a lot of money, too.  If I pick up the phone and call our Denver
office, the call gets automatically routed over our WAN data link.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas