[geeks] IP Telephony

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Tue Jul 31 12:32:37 CDT 2007

nate at portents.com wrote:
> I've used Switchvox for a couple of years now, has worked well for what
> I've used it for:
>
> http://www.switchvox.com/
>
> You basically buy a turn-key PC that has their front end pre-installed
> running on top of Asterisk running on Red Hat Linux

If you are going to run a pure SIP-based phone system avoid anything
Cisco like the plague - Cisco intentionally makes the SIP functionality
in their Call Manager and IP phones feature-deficient in an attempt to
lock people into their proprietary SCCP protocols.  According to the
guys that sell VoIP equipment at $WORK it's both working and backfiring
on them.

I know for a fact that Polycom IP phones work well and will gracefully
support features that Cisco doesn't... like paging aka intercom.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com