[geeks] IP Telephony

Rick Hamell hamellr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 19:21:43 CDT 2007

On 7/31/07 7:43 AM, "Dave K" <davek08054 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all!
>
> Here at $WORK we're evaluating a slew of new Telephone Solutions, most
> of which use VOIP to some extent or another.  Do any of you have
> real-world experience with VOIP in the office?  Any favorite links to
> *useful* sites (as opposed to the information overload Google seems to
> provide)?

I'm most familiar with Polycom. Asterisk is the actual application that
handles all the routing and such. My biggest problem with it is that it's a
pain to integrate with LDAP, especially when recycling phones from users who
have left the company. Common features that we use to have in Analog are
hard to setup such as boss lines and secretary listen-in options. But once
they're done it's pretty robust.

I've also used Grandstream phones which are nice as you can access each one
via a web browser and set individual settings, although the particular model
I played with shows it's age as a phone and feels very cheap.

Rick