[geeks] Second Life is not a game?

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Jul 31 16:20:26 CDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 23:54 +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> YDL has always been sold by TerraSoft. It's their brand for a (formerly)
> Macintosh Linux distro.
>
> Dead and burried, no. IMHO a true niche item with no niche to fill.
>
> They are concentrating on the PS/3 market which to me seems hardly
> worth it, how many people are going to pay them money to run Linux
> on a PS/3?

Anyone who can't afford a $17,000 Mercury Cell Accelerator cards, or the
unknown price IBM Cell blades?

That sure would be a niche market, but it may be a good way to get a
food in the door with people who are exploring the idea of actually
building a cluster of Cell blades, or who are interested in using the
Cell accelerator in industrial/military equipment.

> They also supported some PPC development boards and IBM PPC computers,
> but they are pretty rare.

But possibly lucrative.

> I think that they fell into the GPL trap. They produced some excelent
> systems managment tools, but they released them under the GPL and I use
> them on X86 Linux systems, for which they get nothing.

What tools did they make?