[geeks] Second Life is not a game?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Jul 31 15:54:28 CDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 09:36:17PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:
> Er ... you make it sound like Yellow Dog linux is dead and buried. I'm
> not certain of the corporate history, but YDL is now sold and pushed by
> Terra Soft and they seem alive and well (although websites always give
> that impression).

YDL has always been sold by TerraSoft. It's their brand for a (formerly)
Macintosh Linux distro.

Dead and burried, no. IMHO a true niche item with no niche to fill.

They are concentrating on the PS/3 market which to me seems hardly
worth it, how many people are going to pay them money to run Linux
on a PS/3?

The same with old Macs. If I am going to pay money to run an operating
system on a "new world" (the only ones they support) Mac, I'd rather run
Tiger. If I want to run a free operating system, I'd probably go with
Ubuntu, as you can add just about everything that YDL has, only requires
one CD to an install and even works with several old world Macs too,

They also supported some PPC development boards and IBM PPC computers,
but they are pretty rare.

I think that they fell into the GPL trap. They produced some excelent
systems managment tools, but they released them under the GPL and I use
them on X86 Linux systems, for which they get nothing.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838