[geeks] Disk to Disk Caching

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Jul 30 17:37:30 CDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 17:43 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 15:10:02 -0400
> "Joshua D. Boyd" <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 14:13 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > > Yes, I need to get a gigabit switch.
> > >
> > > Most of my machines are gigabit, but my switch is an older 3Com
> > > SuperStack, and new switches worth having are more than I wanted to pay
> > > right now.
> > >
> > > If anyone has recommendations for good gigaswitches that aren't expensive,
> > > I'm all ears.
> >
> > If you don't need a lot of ports, SMC Tiger switches in smaller sizes
> > can be affordable.  My 8 port was $75.
>
> Are they managed switches with SNMP, and jumbo packets?

My understanding when I researched the purchase was that it would do
SNMP (and RMON) and jumbo frames.  So far I've ended up just using it as
a dumb switch.

BTW, my model is the SMC8606T.  I can't find anything about it on their
web site, but I was previously able to find PDF documentation for it
from a foreign website, and the sales guy acknowledged its existence
when I called to order rack ears for it.

> That sounds pretty interesting.  I've never used SMC before so I forget to
> think about them.

Well, I don't know how good a brand they are, but this switch seems very
solid physically, and that is about all I can say other than I that I
think it works just fine.