[geeks] Disk to Disk Caching

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jul 30 16:43:46 CDT 2007

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 15:10:02 -0400
"Joshua D. Boyd" <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 14:13 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > Yes, I need to get a gigabit switch.
> >
> > Most of my machines are gigabit, but my switch is an older 3Com
> > SuperStack, and new switches worth having are more than I wanted to pay
> > right now.
> >
> > If anyone has recommendations for good gigaswitches that aren't expensive,
> > I'm all ears.
>
> If you don't need a lot of ports, SMC Tiger switches in smaller sizes
> can be affordable.  My 8 port was $75.

Are they managed switches with SNMP, and jumbo packets?

That sounds pretty interesting.  I've never used SMC before so I forget to
think about them.

All I've used in the past were Cisco, 3Com, and really old stuff back in the
dark ages (mid 90s) from DEC, Bay Networks, etc that no longer applies.

Do any unmanaged switches at last do SNMP and big packets in some kind of
automatic mode?

--
shannon           | An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto