[geeks] Disk to Disk Caching

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Mon Jul 30 18:13:48 CDT 2007

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Do any unmanaged switches at last do SNMP and big packets in some kind of
> automatic mode?

By definition unmanaged switches lack a management interface to set up
SNMP, and jumbo frame support is spotty at best. SNMP support among the
cheap-ass "smart switches" isn't universal, and while the spec sheet
might say they support jumbo frames I have had problems using them with
certain makes (dropped packets - supported frame size depended on the
rate frames traverse the switch fabric).

Even though it is several years old I found this link helpful in my own
research:

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~joe/jumbo-clean-gear.html

I also find the user reviews on NewEgg helpful, as the cheap stuff
(Linksys, Netgear, Dlink, etc) frequently has really stupid problems and
limitations, and can be quite unreliable. I recommend the expensive
stuff because it works the first time, every time.

BTW this link is quite informative when it comes to jumbo frames,
although you need to fast-forward to page 69 to get to issues that will
affect a LAN:

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~joe/jumbos/jumbo-frames.pdf

--

Phil Brutsche