[geeks] Moving Stuff

Rick Hamell hamellr at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 22:42:50 CDT 2007

>> A local shipper quoted her $3,000 which seems a bit much.
>
> I wonder what the actual quote was for - are the shippers picking up packed
> boxes and simply delivering them to FL? That quote sounds like they are
> packing and unpacking the items.
>
> I'd contact a conventional moving company and see if you can secure a "big
> wooden box" to put all her belongings in, then the moving company simply picks
> it up, schedules it on to different trucks (never having to touch any
> individual items, dealing with the whole lot in one big box) ultimately
> arriving in FL.

It cost me $1800 to move my (now) ex-fiance from Fort Wayne Indiana to
Portland Oregon via a moving company. But that was also heavily discounted
through her father's company. $3000 really seems reasonable to me.

I'd suggest looking at a freight company of some sort though. Steal a couple
of wood pallets, buy a roll of packing wrap and stack everything on pallets.
You should be able to ship those for a couple of hundred bucks each with a
two-four week delivery time.

Rick