[geeks] Hello?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 18 15:32:09 CDT 2007

>From: wa2egp at att.net
>Date: 2007/07/18 Wed PM 01:03:13 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Hello?

<snip>

>I agree.  I have't been impressed with high definition TV, a lot of the
>digital audio and digital cell phones.  Maybe I've got lousy vision and
>worse hearing but I don't see (and hear) that much better to justify the
>cost. Maybe it's from all those years of ham radio where I had to learn to
>mentally cut (or ignore) the noise.
>
>I have not been to a "digital" theater as far as I know (and whatever
>that means) but I have been to some that use DVD instead of film in
>the projector.  OK, so instead of having the film jump, it breaks up
>into squares. Wow.

I can see a real difference in the local digital theater compared with "regular" film - the real difference is when you get close to the screen, the the image doesn't become a huge collection of coloed "blobs" - from a distance I suspect you lose as much detail to distance as you gain from the higer resolution possible.

As for HD TV, when you get a clear signal (I'm on cable, and depending on weather it varies), and you are viewing the TV within the "sweet spot" (not too far off-center, TV at about eye-level) HD can be very impressive.

I'm about to hook up an "up-converting" DVD player I got the other day - it was cheap, but the theory is it will squeeze slightly better pictures off my non-HD DVDs - even if it doesn;t make a real difference, it will have a digital connection to my HD TV, not component/composite, and I think that is a good thing...

>Maybe I'll take Andy Rooney's job when he finially croaks.......

Good luck with that... ;^)

Lionel