[geeks] Hello?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed Jul 18 16:42:50 CDT 2007

" From: wa2egp at att.net
"
" > Everytime we have switched from analog to digital happened to be when
" > it was, not superior, but merely acceptable. This is not done for
" > quality, but completely for commercial gains.
" >
" > DVDs are probably the only area where we have gained something, for
" > those of us who are multilingual: buy one movie and get english,
" > french and spanish (for example) soundtracks for the same price.
" >
" > Francois
"
" I agree.  I have't been impressed with high definition TV, a lot of the
" digital audio and digital cell phones.  Maybe I've got lousy vision and
" worse hearing but I don't see (and hear) that much better to justify the
" cost. Maybe it's from all those years of ham radio where I had to learn to
" mentally cut (or ignore) the noise.

imho hdtv was a solution looking for a problem.  the govt couldn't get
broadcasters to move off analog until they announced they were pulling
the plug on analog broadcast in '09.

as for me, i may well stop watching tv then.  what i find most lacking
on the tube is plot.  and i wouldn't be surprised if much of pbs [for
instance] was available over the internet by then.