[geeks] Hello?

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Fri Jul 20 12:53:11 CDT 2007

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 08:19:32 +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> want to vent too much. The problem is the phones, not the service,
> or it's the service and the phones.
>
> The phones have gotten too small with the ear to mouth distance being
> too close, the quality of the microphones and speakers deteriorating
> etc.

Of course!

I suspect it's not just the form factor though. I've been through 4
phones in 3 years all roughly the same form-factor (3 candybars of
roughly the same size, and my N80i is a slider) varying from so cheap
the mobile operators almost pay you to take one, to fairly expensive.
The audio quality has gone up each time.

As always you get what you pay for, and a really cheap phone will have
really cheap components.

> That's not really true. What happened is the original GSM codec was
> not very good and a new one called EFRC (extended full rate codec)
> was developed. EFRC came at a price, the conversion chips were more
> expensing and used a lot more battery.

That's the trouble with memory ... it keeps letting you down! I suspect
I never knew the details because I've never tried to keep up to speed
with the details of mobile phones.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 "I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence.