[geeks] Solid State Voice Recorders

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 15 15:10:58 CDT 2007

>From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
>Date: 2007/07/15 Sun PM 02:50:07 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Solid State Voice Recorders

>On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 12:19:53PM -0700, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know anything about this sort of stuff?  She wants something to
>> use without an external microphone, without having to wave something big in
>> folks' faces.  Solid state recording, with an easy way to transfer stuff to
>> her PC for editing and eventual burning to CD.  An hour of recording would
>> be good.  Mono is fine, since it's only for interviews with individuals.
>>
>> Cheap but good would be good, too.
>
>I can't point to anything specific, but all of the little ones that
>look like sitcks of chewing gum do exactly that. You then download
>the files via USB to your computer.

Take a look at podcasting options, I bet over on those forums they have some pointers that should be good...

Samson has some units, H2 and H4, might be a bit pricey, but I would imagine the money is in the microphones, and an all-in-one with decent microphone(s) could get expensive...

H2 - http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1916

H4 - http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1901

These sites might help as well:

http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blog/2005/07/shootout_stereo_digital_voice.html