[geeks] Solid State Voice Recorders

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Sun Jul 15 21:10:30 CDT 2007

> Does anyone know anything about this sort of stuff?  She
> wants something to use without an external microphone,
> without having to wave something big in folks' faces.  Solid
> state recording, with an easy way to transfer stuff to her PC
> for editing and eventual burning to CD.  An hour of recording
> would be good.  Mono is fine, since it's only for interviews
> with individuals.

Panasonic makes something very specific for this purpose that works like
a charm. No need for an external mic (it can use one though) as it has a
built in mic and circuitry to assist with background noise reduction and
voice enhancement.

I use mine with a phone line adapter to record customer meetings that I
then take notes from. I xfer the audio to the PC and transcribe it. The
transcription software does all the things a transcriber does, like slow
down the playback speed without it sounding odd.

> Cheap but good would be good, too.

Umm, no. I paid $130.00 at Staples. They have cheaper models that have
less capacity though (mine does 16 hours).

Like this one -
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RR-US360-Digital-Voice-Recorder/dp/B0001
MKTUS

Don't know if this one includes the software.