[geeks] Solid State Voice Recorders

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Jul 15 14:50:07 CDT 2007

On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 12:19:53PM -0700, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> Does anyone know anything about this sort of stuff?  She wants something to
> use without an external microphone, without having to wave something big in
> folks' faces.  Solid state recording, with an easy way to transfer stuff to
> her PC for editing and eventual burning to CD.  An hour of recording would
> be good.  Mono is fine, since it's only for interviews with individuals.
>
> Cheap but good would be good, too.

I can't point to anything specific, but all of the little ones that
look like sitcks of chewing gum do exactly that. You then download
the files via USB to your computer.

She should look around at several stores that sell those things and
get one that has the best user interface for her.

Personally, I would prefer one that use AA NiMH batteries, but I have
yet to find one. All of them either use AAA batteries or Lithum Ion.
Even the AAA batteries are better IMHO, they last as long and
are easily replaced if they run out in mid session.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838