[geeks] Just picked up an HP 5Si MX, few questions...

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 11:53:00 CST 2007

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Well the Princeton Surplus sale turned up another winner - an HP 5Si
> MX printer, with all cables and the "Tray 4" printer stand that takes
> a TON of paper (I think it said 4,000 sheets ;^) AND the little cable
> that connects the printer to the expansion tray/stand. It also
> included a JetDirect card, and printed up great test pages (PCL and
> PS) - $50.

A pretty good deal.  The only reasons I didn't go with something similar
myself is that I finally decided on getting color, and this printer
takes waay too much power for my taste.

> Any concerns/gotchas with this specific printer? (I really like that
> is can accomodate 11x17 pages ;^)

Yeah.  That's always a nice feature.  Although I think probably the
nicest thing about this particular model is the speed.

> Any point to adding a HD to the printer? (Does anything really take
> advantage of the internal HD, it seems like an idea the Mfg. thought
> would take off, but did not...)

If memory serves, it only matters work workgroup use, because all it
does is increase the font and document queue capacities.  How many
people are going to be printing to it simultaneously?

Peace...  Sridhar