[geeks] New 2.5" SCSI HDs???

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Jan 20 10:31:40 CST 2007

Sat, 20 Jan 2007 @ 10:25 -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo said:

> On Jan 20, 2007, at 4:43 AM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> >
> > But would it really be more expensive?  Isn't it possible that it would
> > actually lower costs to have a single interface standard?
> >

> I can't really answer this question, because I don't know.  But don't
> you think that a large computer OEM that hires people to know this kind
> of stuff, would have chosen the cheapest implementation?

Sure, but since the market currently offers no choice we can hardly
expect OEMs to choose something which doesn't exist.

I'm talking about the industry changing what they market.

I believe if unification lowered costs or was not much higher and had
other benefits, OEMs would certainly look at that.

> If a cheap or easy unification were possible, I think it would have
> been pushed for.

I'm not sure cheap and easy are the only factors.

There is momentum, stupidity, short-sightedness, and greed to consider.

> > There should also be additional savings by no longer having to split
> > your R&D and production resources between two different interfaces.
> >
> Not really the computer OEM's problem - that's Seagate's problem as far
> as they are concerned :-)

That's very true.

I don't doubt it would be hard to change, at least at first, but SATA
for the first time brings the opportunity to make it fairly easy, which
was not true in the past.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The object of war is not to die for your
country but to make the other bastard die for his." -- General George S.