[geeks] New 2.5" SCSI HDs???

Thu Jan 18 23:05:41 CST 2007

> Moving ... to SAS ...

> Then just have the SCSI market start offering a wider range of
> models, and you no longer have any need for (S)ATA at all.

There would be no SCSI market then (well, except for the secondhand
market); it would be SAS.

One of SCSI's biggest advantages is backward compatability all the way
back.  I can take a disk from a Sun-2 and put it on a SCSI bus from
this year and it will work.  (At Sun-2-era speeds, to be sure, but it
will work.)  And I can also take a SCSI disk that rolled off the
factory line yesterday and put it on a Sun-2, or a pc532, or a
VAXstation, or an Alpha, anything else SCSI, and it will work.  (Modulo
HVD issues - I think HVD was a mistake, for exactly this reason, and
was/am glad they made sure LVD had SE compatability in it.)

...well, if they're still making SCSI disks, that is.  This whole SAS
thing makes it sound as though they aren't.  (They may be making
something using similar command sets over a totally different
transport, but it isn't SCSI.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca