[geeks] Lomo/Holga photography

Dan Duncan danduncan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 22:32:50 CST 2007

On 1/16/07, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> > > Why does she want one?
> >
> > Why does someone want to hunt with a bow or a muzzle loader
> > when a high-powered rifle is available?
>
> Bad analogy.

Why?  Bows and muzzle loaders often require a higher level of skill or work to
accomplish the task than a more conventional high-powered rifle.  Doing
what someone else does using a tool that requires more skill or more work
is some people's idea of FUN.   The idea is certainly alive and well
on this list.

> Muzzle loaders and bows are high quality weapons.

What a strange claim.

There are bows and muzzle loaders of all range of quality just as
there are high-powered rifles of all range of quality.

> > Perhaps you should do a Google image search on Lomo or an ebay
> > search on Holga and see some of the weirdness that comes up.
>
> I have.

Really?  Then perhaps you could explain how the following images fit
your claim that "The way they work is by limiting explosure of the
film to a narrow
strip.  It's fake super-wide done by limiting resolution and image quality."

Weird colors:
http://playground.lomo.jp/ph/lomo_img/output.jpg

Grid?  Array?  Whatchamacallit?
http://www.penelopesloom.com/2005/07/orange_slide/
http://www.mutante.at/lomo/ArtistenTiereMutationen/lomo-lupo%201.jpg

Fisheye:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/foreversouls/sets/1274632/

Only a tiny percentage of the pics that turned up in my google image search
were super-wide.

> > To those of you who assumed I meant to ask a different question or
> > questioned why I was even asking the question, you'd never have told
> > someone who asked for help on rescuing a TRS-80 or a C-128 to visit
> > Dell or Best Buy.
>
> You didn't say why you were asking, and no one can read your mind.

I'm not sure when my reason for wanting something became relevant, but
I'm fairly certain I started my message with "My wife is into
photography and has recently expressed interest in getting a
Lomo/Holga camera.  I'd like to pick one up for her birthday" and
asking her why she wants one because they suck just isn't my style.  I
like being married and tend to be a little more respectful of my
spouse than that.
She returns the courtesy by not asking why I would want a stack of
SPARCs or a noisy Alphaserver because they tend to suck (electricity.)