[geeks] Lomo/Holga photography

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jan 17 16:28:21 CST 2007

Tue, 16 Jan 2007 @ 21:32 -0700, Dan Duncan said:

> > > Why does someone want to hunt with a bow or a muzzle loader
> > > when a high-powered rifle is available?
> >
> > Bad analogy.
>
> Why?  Bows and muzzle loaders often require a higher level of skill or work to
> accomplish the task than a more conventional high-powered rifle.  Doing
> what someone else does using a tool that requires more skill or more work
> is some people's idea of FUN.   The idea is certainly alive and well
> on this list.

I was talking about in terms of quality, it is a bad analogy.

If she wants to play with a Lomo, fine.

Some people here quite correctly pointed out to you that it was junk.

That was good information, even if it wasn't what you specifically
wanted.

> Really?  Then perhaps you could explain how the following images fit
> your claim that "The way they work is by limiting explosure of the
> film to a narrow
> strip.  It's fake super-wide done by limiting resolution and image quality."

A lot of lomo cameras were sold as fake super-wide cameras.

What you are talking about is camera's marketed by "The Lomo Society".

They created other kinds of effects, but in the end it was distorted
images directed to limited areas of the film and generally low quality.

Officially, you are right, you can't really call the super-wide lomo
cameras a "Lomo", because the Austrian company got exclusive rights to
market their specific version, but where not the only one or the most
numerous in all markets.

> Only a tiny percentage of the pics that turned up in my google image search
> were super-wide.

...which means nothing.

> > > To those of you who assumed I meant to ask a different question or
> > > questioned why I was even asking the question, you'd never have told
> > > someone who asked for help on rescuing a TRS-80 or a C-128 to visit
> > > Dell or Best Buy.
> >
> > You didn't say why you were asking, and no one can read your mind.
>
> I'm not sure when my reason for wanting something became relevant, but
> I'm fairly certain I started my message with "My wife is into
> photography and has recently expressed interest in getting a
> Lomo/Holga camera.

That doesn't mean that information about lomography being low quality
photography, or the fact that you can get effects like that in other
ways was invalid.

Your welcome.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The trade of governing has always been
monopolized by the most ignorant and the most rascally individuals of