[geeks] Lomo/Holga photography

Dan Duncan danduncan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 21:14:51 CST 2007

On 1/15/07, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> Sun, 14 Jan 2007 @ 13:47 -0700, Dan Duncan said:
>
> > My wife is into photography and has recently expressed interest in
> > getting a Lomo/Holga camera.  I'd like to pick one up for her birthday
>
> Why does she want one?

Why does someone want to hunt with a bow or a muzzle loader
when a high-powered rifle is available?

> Lomo cameras suck, to put it nicely.
>
> The way they work is by limiting explosure of the film to a narrow
> strip.
>
> It's fake super-wide done by limiting resolution and image quality.
>
> You can do the same thing with standard film or digital cameras just by
> cropping.

Perhaps you should do a Google image search on Lomo or an ebay
search on Holga and see some of the weirdness that comes up.
There are Holgas on ebay that do multiple exposures in time lapse
order on sections of the frame.  There are fisheye models.  Some of them
have poorer quality color saturation or a weird graininess.

To those of you who provided useful information and answered the question
I asked, thank you.

To those of you who assumed I meant to ask a different question or
questioned why I was even asking the question, you'd never have told
someone who asked for help on rescuing a TRS-80 or a C-128 to visit
Dell or Best Buy.