[geeks] Lomo/Holga photography

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Mon Jan 15 03:47:57 CST 2007

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 23:50:37 -0700
"Dan Duncan" <danduncan at gmail.com> wrote:

> She wants to do some artistic shots and play a
> little with the color and picture weirdness of the Lomo cameras.
You can do artistic shots with a Holga. But you can do this with a Leica
as well. Equpment doesn't matter. The person behind the camera matters.

The whole Lomo/Holga thing looks to me like a marketing paln to sell
this crappy cameras. If she is fixed to 35 mm film get a sixpack of
ordinary 35 mm disposable cameras. Usually they have flash build in and
give the same crappy pictures as a Lomo/Holga. If 120 type film is an
option get some old folding rangefinder camera. But she may get
disappointed with this. Those old cameras can make astonishingly good
pictures.

BTW: You can get funny panorama effects when you put a 35 mm film in a
120 type camera. Disadvantage: You need a dark room or "film changing
bag / tent" to get the film out of the camera.

An other option is the "lensbaby" (google...) and a "pinhole lens" for
her 35 mm SLR. That way she doesn't need to learn how to operate a new
camera as the camera body is still the same. But she gets the crappy
picture quality of the Lomo/Holga. In addition the "lensbaby" can do
shift and tilt. This is a really interresting option as it opens the
door to some creative picture composition technics.

My recommendation: Get a lensbaby.
Maybe not what she wanted, but this "toy" can produce a lot of fun.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen