[geeks] good source of cooling fans (for computers)

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Feb 21 15:12:56 CST 2007

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:39:07 -0500 (EST)
der Mouse <mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> wrote:

> > It's not a temperature controlled fan if that's why you are asking.
>
> No, I was asking because "12V 0.52A" doesn't include any variability,
> and you need *some* kind of variability in order to control fan speed.
> But now that you've explained more, I see that question as pretty much
> irrelevant.

I finally found the web site of the original part:

http://www.globefan.com/12025.htm

It's speed controlled by voltage: 6-13.8V.

0.52A is the maximum current draw at 13.8V.

Maximum speed is 2800rpm, ~95CFM.

I want to find an equivalent part that is quieter and good quality.

It's not that this is such a bad fan, but sleeve bearings seem to make noise
when mounted flat, airflow upward.  Not sure why.  It's also possible I got a
bad fan.

Cooler Master will not respond to my queries about this, and I don't want to
be without this computer for an RMA which might not fix the problem anyway.

> Ah.  Perhaps you should be looking at rpm ratings, or perhaps even cfm
> ratings, instead of current-draw ratings?

I assume the power supply uses voltage to vary fan speeds, so as long as the
fan can handle the 6-13.8V range of the current part, I suppose amp rating
doesn't matter as long the new fan doesn't draw more than the current part.

The problem is wading through all the fans I don't want...

LED fans, cold cathod fans, colored fans, fans with bling... after what I've
seen in the last couple of days, I'm expecting to see flavored fans any
minute now.  I'm actually shocked that I've not found scented fans yet.

I've yet to find a seller that has accurate and complete listings, so I
mostly have to search manually, one fan at a time.
rating.

--
The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of
each citizen to defend it.  Only if every single citizen feels duty